Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales

I spend the day travelling to Puerto Natales and getting ready for my trip to Torres Del Paine. A building proudly states that we are 51 degrees 43 minutes and 39 seconds south. Not quite being aware of the currency I got overcharged for my camp stove fuel (US$20 for a litre of methylated spirits !) and I am bemused by the unpreparedness others are when it comes to hiking in the extremes of this area.
The bus was organised by Luis using Buses Fernandez. Round trip 8000 clp - about $16, not bad for a 3 hour journey. Luis provided a hearty breakfast and transport to the airport to connect to the bus.

We waited at the airport and as the bus arrived we pulled up behind it, only to our surprise see that bus immediately drive off without any stop time. So it was a game of chase to halt the bus at an intersection some distance from the airport. A few words were exchanged between Luis and the driver and I was on board for Puerto Natales.
I had a bit of a walk around the town and the shore line. It is a pleasant town and quite windy. The water foreshore with mountains on the horizon are quite the picture.
Windswept dogs everywhere, all very trained well to keep out of the way of people.
3 hours of comfortable journey, in a somewhat dazed state saw arrival at 12:30pm. I thought I should get some methylated spirits - alcohol desnaturalizado - as soon as possible as I was not sure if I would be able to get some due to it being a Sunday. Ripped off ! I dropped into a pharmacy and in my jetlagged state I paid 10000 clp - about 20 bucks for 500ml of the stuff, it only dawned on me when I realized that the till said 980 and the guy removed 10000 from my wallet. LESSON: be fully aware of currency, and carry only small visible amount in your wallet and get a receipt so you can do the maths yourself.
Accommodation in Puerto Natales was at La Casa Cecilia hosted by a Swiss guy named Werner. The price was good, I hired a room to myself for 15000clp ($30) with en-suite. He was extremely helpful in all my queries and provided good accommodation.
The room was reasonably appointed, not quite to the standard of  Luis' place, but then it wasn't at the same price point either.

Werner hires good camping equipment, unlike a few of the other hostels around the place - on the trail I saw a Taiwanese guy have his tent almost blown away and heard a story of a group of three hired mountaineering plastic boots! LESSON: bring at least your own hiking boots and check hire gear carefully - something at least I did not have to worry about. It is astonishing how people can come down here totally unprepared expecting to do a walk such as the W track in Torres Del Paine park.

I met up with an American couple and dined with them in a place that did Patagonian style bbq food. The food was delicious and plentiful, with the total bill coming to about 22000 clp including alcohol, dessert & tip for the three of us. I also organised a bus at 7:00pm on a Sunday night to Torres Del Paine national park - I need not of feared the shops closing on Sunday, they keep open until about 9:oopm and I also stocked up on some camping foods.

Blog Indexes:


Comments